Join the club at a New Members’ Evening
New members’ evenings
All new members joining the club must attend a New Members Evening unless they’ve attended an Introduction to White water Course.
The session offers a comprehensive induction to the club and, if you haven’t paddled before, the chance to learn some basic kayaking and safety skills to get you started. You must be over 18. The inductions are run by volunteers at the club.
These sessions are partly on the water and you will get wet. During the warmer months, as part of the introduction, the coaches will demonstrate what to do if you capsize and if the weather is warm enough you will be encouraged to try this for yourself. If it is cold or you would prefer not to do this, we will ask you to go to a pool session to practice capsizing.
We cannot accept anyone turning up on the night without a prior booking.
Extra procedures to mitigate the spread of covid
We have implemented additional policies to keep you safe during this pandemic, more information can be found on our Procedures for paddling during the pandemic.
In short we ask you not to come to the club if you are exhibiting symptoms of the virus and to follow basic precautionary measures.
- Please bring a mask, the introduction and boat fitting will take approximately half an hour. We won’t ask you to wear your masks on the water.
- Please arrive dressed as much as possible for paddling on the water, our changing facilities are limited at this time.
- A toilet will be available on the night but we are unable to open the showers, please bring appropriate warm clothes for travelling home in as you may get a little wet.
What happens on the night
- Each session starts promptly at 6:30pm on Mondays and finishes at 8:30pm. If you arrive late you may be asked to come back another time.
- We start with a short introduction to the club, a look around the site and an opportunity to ask questions.
- If you want to paddle on the evening you must register via Eventbrite and at the start of the session pay the correct payment by credit/debit card or cheque (made payable to Regents Canoe Club). Please note you are no longer required to bring a membership form with you.
- After the introduction if you decide the club is not for you, you can ask for your money back. If you continue the session after the introduction you have then agreed to join the club and we cannot refund your membership fee. See membership for more information.
- If you are unsure about joining the club there may be the opportunity to observe the session from the bank (at the discretion of the coaches). You would still need to return and complete a full New Members Evening in order to become a member.
What you need to wear and what to expect
- The session will be done in kayaks. We will provide buoyancy aids, boats and paddles.
- If you are an experienced paddler please bring your usual kit.
- If you paddle you will get a little wet, so bring a complete change of clothes to paddle in. Sporting gear such as tracksuits or jogging gear is ideal. Woolly jumpers are also okay.
- Cotton clothing such as jeans and t-shirts tend to retain water and you will get colder. You must wear shoes of some kind, such as diving/swimming shoes, plimsolls or thin soled shoes (not flip flops). Bulky shoes and boots may not fit inside the kayaks. If it is cold a woolly hat and a lightweight nylon jacket or cagoule would also be useful. If you do not bring a change of clothes, you will not be able to paddle.
- The winter sessions take place in the dark and in all weathers, including rain.
- Changing rooms and showers are available. You will need to bring a towel, dry clothing for after paddling and a plastic bag for your wet gear.
Booking a place
The next New Members Evenings are listed below.
If a session is fully booked you will not be able to book a place, but you may have the option to add your name to a limited waiting list. If you book a place you will receive an automatic email confirmation and an email reminder before the event.
If you expect but do not receive an email from us, check your junk folder for emails from [email protected]
You can also register for upcoming evenings by signing up to our mailing list below and we will notify you when new sessions become available for booking. If no new evenings are available, we will not email you.
Bookings will open one week before the following sessions.
- Monday – 7th March
- Monday – 4th April
Visiting the club as a guest of a member
Non-members can visit the club as the guest of a current club member, but they can only join at a New Members’ Evening.
Each visitor needs to sign the visitor’s book and pay £5.00 to the Duty Officer.
Non-members who wish to attend the club must read the participation statement and by signing the visitor’s book they confirm they have done so.