New members’ evenings
All new members joining the club must attend a New Members Evening unless they’ve attended an Introduction to White water Course.
With the current closure of the club site at the City Basin, we will be holding Introductory Sessions at the Britannia Leisure Center.
The session offers a induction to the club and, if you haven’t paddled before, the chance to learn some basic kayaking and safety skills to get you started. The inductions are run by volunteers at the club. These sessions are in the pool and you will get wet. The coaches will demonstrate capsize and rescue skills and you will get the opportunity to try these for yourself.
You must be over 18. We cannot accept anyone turning up on the night without a prior booking.
What happens on the night
- Each fortnightly session runs on Tuesday, from 6:30pm to 9:00pm. If you arrive late you may be asked to come back another time.
- We start with a short introduction to the club, a look around the site and an opportunity to ask questions.
- If you want to paddle on the evening you must register via Eventbrite and at the start of the session pay the correct payment by credit/debit card only). Please note you are no longer required to bring a membership form with you.
- After the introduction if you decide the club is not for you, you can ask for your money back. If you continue the session after the introduction you have then agreed to join the club and we cannot refund your membership fee. See membership for more information.
- If you are unsure about joining the club there may be the opportunity to observe the session from the poolside (at the discretion of the coaches). You would still need to return and complete a full New Members Evening in order to become a member.
What you need to wear and what to expect
- The session will be done in kayaks. We will provide all the necessary kit.
- If you are an experienced paddler please bring your usual kit.
- These session will take place in the pool, so you will get wet. Please bring swimwear appropriate for a swimming pool.
- Additionally, a shirt and shorts/leggings to keep you warm and comfortable when sitting in the boats are recommended – we recommend synthetic sports wear as cotton clothing tends to retain water and you will get colder.
- If you own these, you can bring goggle and/or goggles.
- Changing rooms and showers are available. You will need to bring a towel, dry clothing for after paddling and a plastic bag for your wet gear.
Booking a place
The next New Members Evenings are listed below.
If a session is fully booked you will not be able to book a place, but you may have the option to add your name to a limited waiting list. If you book a place you will receive an automatic email confirmation and an email reminder before the event.
If you expect but do not receive an email from us, check your junk folder for emails from [email protected]
Bookings will open one week before the following sessions.
- Tuesday – 16th of August