Every year, Regents Canoe Club makes its annual pilgrimage to the French Alps for a spot of alpine paddling. This year’s trip is already proving to be very popular so booking
Every year, Regents Canoe Club makes its annual pilgrimage to the French Alps for a spot of alpine paddling.
This year’s trip is already proving to be very popular so booking is opening a bit earlier to gauge numbers. At the moment there is capacity for about 25 people with room to expand if needed and if logistically possible. As many of you know this year’s Alps trip will be different from previous years: we will be staying in 2-3 chalets at the bottom end of the Lower Guisane just outside of Briançon, so space is limited.
At this stage I DO NOT WANT YOUR MONEY. I repeat: NO MONEY. Yet.
But in order to qualify for a place on the trip we do need to know the following:
- Your paddling experience: How many years, what rivers, can you lead, are you happy to lead (I promise it will not be every day)
- Do you have access to a car and are you happy to drive: Yes or No. If yes, how many boats and passengers can you take.
- Do you have a valid driver’s licence and are you happy to help with driving: Yes or No.
- Do you have any special requirements: As in, are you travelling from elsewhere and need collection, or do you need to leave the trip early? Are you heading back to London or on to somewhere else? We cannot promise anything, you may need to sort out all of your travel arrangements to and from Briançon on your own, but we will try to help out where possible/reasonable.
- Are you happy to share a double bed: Yes or No, and with whom. (*If you have been eyeballing a certain someone at the club over the last few months, perhaps now is the time to make your move?) Just kidding. Sort of.
- What can you offer the trip: The Alps trip is the jewel in the paddling crown, but these trips don’t become successful unless everyone pitches in. In addition to drivers and leaders, we need house parents, BBQ chefs, salad makers and games organisers. This is a holiday for everyone (particularly your leaders) so if you can volunteer or make suggestions as to how you might be able to make this trip even better, every little helps!
After about 2 weeks I will be able to confirm places on the trip and will notify you accordingly, and only once you are confirmed on the trip will we take payment. Deposit for the trip will be between £100 and £140 (depending on numbers) and you can expect to pay an additional sum at the end of your trip to cover petrol, BBQ activities, T-shirt (if so desired), the last night’s supper at a restaurant (booze not included) and the hotel on the Friday night. If you want to know how much the total trip will cost, ask some of your peers: it all rather depends on how much wine and raclette you can eat.
Please copy and paste your answers to [email protected]
Thanks a bunch!
17 (Friday) 8:00 am - 25 (Saturday) 8:00 pm