How do I become a member of Regents Canoe Club?
Regents currently has roughly 240 members, of whom 55% are men and 45% women. Membership is open to anyone over the age of 18.
You must attend a New Members Evening at the club before you can use club facilities, unless you have attended an Introduction to White Water Kayaking course. You cannot join the club on any other evening or pool session, regardless of any previous experience you have.
You do not have to have any previous paddling experience to join the club.
The membership year runs from June and membership fees for new members are calculated on a semi annual pro rata basis as shown below. There is only one membership payment made per year.
2017 – 2018
- Joining between 1st June 2017 – 30th November 2017 – £70
- Joining between 1st December 2017 – 31st May 2018 – £35
- The unwaged, full time students and senior citizens are entitled to a 50% discount.
To become a member please attend one of our New Members Evenings.
The club’s policy is that membership fees will not be refunded if you choose to leave the club. If you experience any difficulties please email email@example.com .
Associate membership is only intended for members who have moved away and wish to stay in touch with the club. Anyone wishing to join as an Associate Member should apply to be considered on an individual basis by the committee. Cost is £25 per year (no discount for unemployed or students).
To apply for associate membership via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for your application to be considered.
Renewing your membership
We use an online service to renew your memberships. Please follow instructions in Notes from Canalside on how to renew.
Benefits of membership
Regents Canoe Club provides the following benefits to members:
- Full membership entitles you to paddle on the canal on club evenings. Boats, paddles and buoyancy aids are available, at no cost, for use on club evenings
- Changing rooms and hot showers are available at the club. A flat water slalom course is often set out on the City Road Basin
- Inexpensive kit hire. We have a wide range of kayaks and other equipment which can be hired by members for use on trips or personal use, subject to experience. See equipment page
- Subsidised pool sessions. The pool is a great place to practice different strokes, capsizes, rescues and rolling
- Regular trips to white water rivers across the UK, open to members with suitable experience
- The club organises social events and regular training sessions
- Subsidies of up to 80% for club members undertaking coaching qualifications and up to 20% for leadership, safety, coaching or first aid courses, if such training will benefit the club. See training page
- Third party insurance for all members engaged in club activities (this insurance is provided via our affiliation with British Canoeing)
If you have any questions about membership, please email email@example.com